The Picasso museum is housed in the Chateau Grimaldi in the centre of the town of Vallauris. The chateau was built over a Roman fort in the 16th century.
Picasso lived in Vallauris from 1948 until his death in 1955. He created many works here and was instrumental in the revival of the pottery industry and arts movement of the area. Following Picasso's success the building where he had once rented a room later became a museum dedicated to him which houses 300 of his paintings.
There are also pieces by artists Léger, Miró, Chillida, Klein, Modigliani, Picabia and Calder, among many others.
The castle, on the other hand, has its origins in the 14th century, when the Grimaldi family lived here. Turned into a town hall in 1792, it was bought by the town of Antibes in 1925. Picasso used one of its rooms as a workshop, where he made paintings and drawings, many of which he gifted to the town of Antibes.
- Disabled access
- Chateau de Vallauris - Place de la Liberation