Known as the 'City of Art', Vence has a rich history of attracting artists and writers, from D H Lawrence to Chagall and Matisse.
The old town retains its ancient walls within which are tightly packed houses centred around a small square with its beautiful church and lively cafés. The church is actually the town cathedral, which houses a very beautiful and classic Chagall mosaic. The streets are filled with art galleries, gift shops and beautifully decorated buildings - you can happily spend hours browsing.
The medieval town centre is surrounded by a slighter newer town that spreads into the surrounding hillsides. At it’s heart is the Place du Grand Jardin, where there is an excellent local produce market every morning; antique dealers congregate here every Wednesday morning too.
More Antibes Insights...
- Happy New Year from Antibes!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeAntibes.com
- Antibes in October 2019 - 5 things to see & do
- Eat for free at gourmet restaurants in Antibes
- What's on in Antibes September 2019
- Beckhams see summer off in South of France